Welcome to the BEAM Forum!

We encourage you to sign in our forum and participate in the BEAM community. The forum is maintained by the BEAM project team who will most likely answer your questions within 24 hours (except during common holidays) - if not done by other community members. Collaborate, share your knowledge and learn from other users!

If you don't find what you are looking for, please also consider the following external forums:

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Ingestion and processing of SPOT 5 data
toggle
Hi, I've recently obtained access to SPOT5 data from the GMES Core datasets. I'm looking for an application to ingest and process this data, to derive various water quality parameters, such as chlorophyll_a concentration. The datasets contain a *.TIF file, (a 3 band R,G,NIR file), and a Metadata.DIM file. I've had a look at VISAT and it doesn't recognise the *.DIM file, despite it being a BEAM-DIMAP file.
Two queries - firstly why isn't the Metadata.DIM file being recognised, and secondly can VISAT assist with derivation of in-situ water quality information? I've heard there are parallels with Seadas??

regards
Will
Flag Flag
RE: Ingestion and processing of SPOT 5 data
6/21/12 2:28 PM as a reply to Will Aicken.
Dear Will, regarding your firest issue: The BEAM-DIMAP is a derived DIMAP profile, we currently can't read the SPOT DIMAP. However, you should be able to open the GeoTIFF raster data files within a SPOT5 dataset.

Regarding your second issue: you are right, the NASA SeaDAS group exchanges their (IDL-based) user interface by a one that is based on BEAM VISAT. It should be released in early summer as part of SeaDAS 7. All the processing code will remain in C, the GUI code will be Java, but you will be able to call all SeaDAS processors from within the GUI. Secondly, with SeaDAS 7 you will be able to read ALL the data products offered by the NASA OceanColour site.

Furthermore we extended VISAT in BEAM 4.10 (in collaboration with NASA) in order to read in-situ data (CSV files) and to use it in various plots and analyses, e.g. scatter plot and profile plots. This will also be possible in the new SeaDAS 7.

Hope this helps!

Norman
Flag Flag
6/26/12 12:41 PM as a reply to Norman Fomferra.
Ok, so will I be able to ingest the Spot 5 data in Seadas 7? And if so, can I apply Seadas algorithms for derivation of say Chl_A?? If I can't use the GeoTIFF file as input, what form of data do I need, perhaps the individual L1 channel radiances in HDF??

regards

Will
Flag Flag
Answer Answer (Unmark)
6/29/12 3:24 PM as a reply to Will Aicken.
Hi Will,

I'd suggest you ask the Seadas development team to be sure.

If Seadas does not support Spot 5 data, however, I'd propose to try using the GeoTIFF raster data files in BEAM as Norman suggested.

Best regards,
Thomas
Flag Flag