Welcome to the BEAM Forum!

We encourage you to sign in our forum and participate in the BEAM community. The forum is maintained by the BEAM project team who will most likely answer your questions within 24 hours (except during common holidays) - if not done by other community members. Collaborate, share your knowledge and learn from other users!

If you don't find what you are looking for, please also consider the following external forums:

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
RE: beam-meris-icol rel 2.9 issues
toggle
Dear support,

In the latest version (2.9) of the beam-meris-icol processor I have found the following issues:

1- I cannot invoke the command-line processor help using:
${BEAM-INSTALL-DIR}/bin/gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper

Any ideas?

2- The openclConvolutionCheckBox is (by design) disabled from the user (greyed out) in this release.

Can I somehow still turn this boolean to ‘true’ using some configuration (xml) file? Is it still accessible from the command-line as parameter -PopenclConvolution=boolean?

3- As—per the release notes, this ICOL version uses an improved land-water database which is based on SRTM data. I have noticed the extension has a new dependency (beam-watermask-1.2) also, which I guess provides this improved land-water database. Can you indicate which of the following files is used by ICOL (I guess GC_water_mask.zip)?

file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/50m.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/150m.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/GC_water_mask.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/MODIS_north_water_mask.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/MODIS_south_water_mask.zip

Cheers, Valentijn
Flag Flag
5/16/12 11:54 AM as a reply to Valentijn Venus.
Dear Valentijn,

please see my comments below.

Best regards,
Olaf

Valentijn Venus:
Dear support,

In the latest version (2.9) of the beam-meris-icol processor I have found the following issues:

1- I cannot invoke the command-line processor help using:
${BEAM-INSTALL-DIR}/bin/gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper

Any ideas?

I cannot reproduce this, gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper works fine here in various enviromnents. Does your 'gpt -h' work for other processors?

2- The openclConvolutionCheckBox is (by design) disabled from the user (greyed out) in this release.

Can I somehow still turn this boolean to ‘true’ using some configuration (xml) file? Is it still accessible from the command-line as parameter -PopenclConvolution=boolean?

In principle you can, but you will likely get error messages. The ICOL processing with OpenCL technology is strongly dependent on the hardware and configuration of the particular computer, this is why it is meant to be an experimental option. It is impossible for us to remotely give individual support on this for the whole community of ICOL users. We hope for your understanding.

3- As—per the release notes, this ICOL version uses an improved land-water database which is based on SRTM data. I have noticed the extension has a new dependency (beam-watermask-1.2) also, which I guess provides this improved land-water database. Can you indicate which of the following files is used by ICOL (I guess GC_water_mask.zip)?

file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/50m.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/150m.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/GC_water_mask.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/MODIS_north_water_mask.zip
file://localhost/Users/venus/Downloads/beam-watermask-1.2/auxdata/images/MODIS_south_water_mask.zip

I forward to you the answer of my colleague who did the implementation of this land-water database:
"You are right, the dependency to 'beam-watermask-1.2' provides the improved land-water database. In fact, all of the files you mention are used in ICOL apart from the MODIS_north and MODIS_south; the '50m.zip' contains the high-resolution database for regions between latitude 60°S and 60°N, the '150m.zip' contains the low-resolution database for the same regions, and the 'GC_water_mask.zip' contains the water mask used for regions north of 60° N. Below 60° S, there is no database yet."
Flag Flag
5/16/12 1:06 PM as a reply to Olaf Danne.
Dear Olaf,

[/quote]
I cannot reproduce this, gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper works fine here in various enviromnents. Does your 'gpt -h' work for other processors?

I'd be happy to try, can you give me an example for one of the other processors? Here is the output i get from the terminal on Macosx Lion:

Valentijn-Venuss-MacBook-Pro:bin venus$ pwd
/Applications/beam/bin
Valentijn-Venuss-MacBook-Pro:bin venus$ gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper
gpt: illegal option -- h
usage: gpt [-rv] [-p nparts] command [options] device ...

In principle you can, but you will likely get error messages.

I think i match the required hardware requirements and have the opencl-jars in the lib folder, can you suggest how to turn this experimental feature back on. I will not ask further questions if i do get error messages, promise...

I forward to you the answer of my colleague who did the implementation of this land-water database:[/quote]

thanks, the reply was helpful indeed.

Cheers, Tyn
Flag Flag
5/16/12 4:54 PM as a reply to Valentijn Venus.
Hi Tyn,
Valentijn Venus:

I'd be happy to try, can you give me an example for one of the other processors? Here is the output i get from the terminal on Macosx Lion:

Valentijn-Venuss-MacBook-Pro:bin venus$ pwd
/Applications/beam/bin
Valentijn-Venuss-MacBook-Pro:bin venus$ gpt -h icol.ThematicMapper
gpt: illegal option -- h
usage: gpt [-rv] [-p nparts] command [options] device ...

Obviously, you have some other program called 'gpt' in your path. You need to make sure that you call (on MacOS):
/Applications/beam/bin/gpt.command -h

On Windows/Linux, you have gpt.bat/gpt.sh, respectively.

I think i match the required hardware requirements and have the opencl-jars in the lib folder, can you suggest how to turn this experimental feature back on. I will not ask further questions if i do get error messages, promise...

Well, maybe you are lucky if you say you meet the requirements... It is as you already assumed: use the command-line parameter '-PopenclConvolution=true'.

Cheers,
Olaf
Flag Flag