Welcome to the BEAM Forum!

We encourage you to sign in our forum and participate in the BEAM community. The forum is maintained by the BEAM project team who will most likely answer your questions within 24 hours (except during common holidays) - if not done by other community members. Collaborate, share your knowledge and learn from other users!

If you don't find what you are looking for, please also consider the following external forums:

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
MERIS FSG NetCDFs do not read into FUB/C2R/FLH plug-ins
toggle
MERIS FSG NetCDFs do not read into FUB/C2R/FLH plug-ins
analysis->flh/mci data formats meris c2r algorithm
2/5/12 10:25 PM
Dear forum,

MERIS L1 images full-swath geo-corrected mode (FSG) in ".nc" (NetCDF) format can be open/read in BEAM.

However, despite using the latest BEAM version and the latest plug-ins, I currently cannot process them with the various BEAM water processor plug-ins such as:

(a) FUB (message "Invalid product type: MERIS Level 1b or MERIS Level 1N (icol) required") or
(b) MERIS Case-2 Regional ("no message text available"),
(c) FLH.MCI processor.

Has anybody encountered a similar problem and found a solution to it ?

If not, there seems to be a need for the next BEAM version to get the water processor plug-ins working for ".nc" formats.

As an example, a MERIS FSG ".nc" image can be found under the CSIRO ftp address and folder provided below, courtesy of the Coast Colour project team. Please feel free to download the image and post suggestions to this comment.

FTp address: ftp://ftp.csiro.au
Folder name: MERISBeam

Kind regards,

David
Flag Flag
RE: MERIS FSG NetCDFs do not read into FUB/C2R/FLH plug-ins
2/6/12 11:07 AM as a reply to David M Blondeau.
Hi David,

these images are in NetCDF-CF format, which means the flag band is not called l1_flags (as the processor expects) but l1_flags_flag_coding. However, in batch processing you can make use of the band maths operator BandMaths in order to create a product featuring the expected names.

Best regards,
Thomas
Flag Flag
3/9/12 10:50 AM as a reply to Thomas Storm.
I have a similar problem.

I fist made a subset of the Coast Colour image in BEAM, so it would take shorter to process. In the created .dim file the bands seem to have the expected names. At least, there is a band called l1_flags, also in the 'data' folder. There are also some extra bands, like 'lat' en 'lon' en 'corr_latitude', corr_longitude' and 'l1p_flags'.

C2R runs, but in the product only the L1_flags band gives valid data. The reflec_x and concentration bands give NaN everywhere and the band case2_flags has a value of 128 (invalid) over the whole image.

Do you have an idea what I could change to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
Annelies
Flag Flag
3/9/12 1:46 PM as a reply to Annelies Hommersom.
Hi Annelies,

can you upload the subset somewhere, so we can take a look into it?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas
Flag Flag
3/12/12 9:31 AM as a reply to Thomas Storm.
I've put them into a dropbox folder and invited you, does that work?

Annelies
Flag Flag
3/12/12 1:49 PM as a reply to Annelies Hommersom.
Yes, it works fine, thank you. We will take a look into the files, however, I cannot tell you yet how long it will take to figure out the error. We will come back to you then.

Best regards,
Thomas
Flag Flag
3/12/12 2:48 PM as a reply to Thomas Storm.
Ok, thanks!

Annelies
Flag Flag
3/28/12 11:11 AM as a reply to Annelies Hommersom.
Hello forum,

to make things still a little more complicated, I am having the same problem, but only partially:

I want to process a coast colour level1p image (netcdf format). Flag bands are called l1_flags and l1p_flags.

Both C2R and FuB run and yield results. However, when trying to run ICOL I get the error message "Please specify either a MERIS L1b or a LANDSAT5 TM GeoTIFF or Geometry source product".

Visat Version is 4.9 (Build 171), ICOL Version is 2.7.4.

I know you are looking into this, but thought this might help.

Best regards,
Kathrin
Flag Flag
5/8/12 9:51 AM as a reply to Thomas Storm.
Thomas Storm:
Hi David,

these images are in NetCDF-CF format, which means the flag band is not called l1_flags (as the processor expects) but l1_flags_flag_coding. However, in batch processing you can make use of the band maths operator BandMaths in order to create a product featuring the expected names.

I think Thomas wanted to say the reason is that the flag coding is not named l1_flags (as the processor expects) but l1_flags_flag_coding. In BEAM 4.10 the flag coding will be named l1_flags as the processor expects. And, e.g., FLH-MCI works as usual.
Flag Flag