Welcome to the BEAM Forum!

We encourage you to sign in our forum and participate in the BEAM community. The forum is maintained by the BEAM project team who will most likely answer your questions within 24 hours (except during common holidays) - if not done by other community members. Collaborate, share your knowledge and learn from other users!

If you don't find what you are looking for, please also consider the following external forums:

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
MERIS Albedo product
MERIS Albedo product
1/25/10 10:40 AM
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I note that the MERIS Albedo Maps (http://www.brockmann-consult.de/albedomap/index.html) only covers the period 2002 - 2006; can you advise whether this will be extended?

Also, the webpage states the processor was developed as a Beam plugin - are there any plans for this to be released?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chris
Flag Flag
RE: MERIS Albedo product
2/3/10 1:09 PM as a reply to Chris Kent.
Hello Chris

as far as I know MERIS Albedo Maps will not be extended.
But currently started a new project GlobAlbedo which covers a longer time period and will make use of ATSR and AATSR beside MERIS.
But I don't know when the first results will be available.

The processor wasn't maintained since the end of the project and is not any more compatible with the current BEAM version.

best wishes
Marco
Flag Flag
2/6/10 2:33 PM as a reply to Chris Kent.
Hi Chris,

the MERIS global albedo map products were produced during an ESA funded project that ended some time ago. At that time the available time series included 2002 - 2006. After the project finished there was not continuation of operational processing of these datasets. Which is a pitty. However, as Marco wrote, ESA has launched recently the Globalbedo project, which will cover a much larger time range and applying a multi-sensor approach.

The Albedomap processor is in fact composed of various components. Some of those are available in BEAM, namely the Cloud probability processor, which you find under the tools menu, as well as the meris-brr and meris-sdr modules, which can be downloaded via the moldule manager.

The final step of Albedo production is a very specific Level 3 processing step. It was decided at the end of the project that this should not be published. I can't remember the reasons.
I hope this helps,
Carsten
Flag Flag
5/18/10 5:20 PM as a reply to Carsten Brockmann.
Hi Carsten, Marco,

Further to my previous question I have noticed that a number of the Browse product images (http://www.brockmann-consult.de/albedomap/browse/index.html) appear corrupted (e.g. 20020813_20020828) and some contain missing data between approx. 55° and 60°N (Boreal Forests, Tundra, Siberia and Canada) but nominal data towards the North Pole (e.g.20030218_20030305) - can you advise as to the cause of these anomalies?

Many thanks,
Regards,

Chris
Flag Flag
5/19/10 10:02 PM as a reply to Chris Kent.
Hi Chris,
this looks indeed strange. We need to go back into the original data to find out the reason. This may take a while ... please be patient.
Carsten
Flag Flag