Welcome to the BEAM Forum!

We encourage you to sign in our forum and participate in the BEAM community. The forum is maintained by the BEAM project team who will most likely answer your questions within 24 hours (except during common holidays) - if not done by other community members. Collaborate, share your knowledge and learn from other users!

If you don't find what you are looking for, please also consider the following external forums:

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
creating image time
toggle
creating image time
1/28/16 12:27 PM
I have a question concerning ‘creating image’ in BEAM VISAT.

Suddenly, creating image for ‘conc_chl_nn’ or ‘conc_tsm’ takes a lot of time (more than hr).
What can be a reason ?

(May be, I should look at some parameters of the computer or the system?)
Thank you in advance for kind assistance,
Flag Flag
RE: creating image time
1/29/16 3:10 PM as a reply to Nelley Mikhailovna Kovalevskaya.
Hi,

by suddenly you mean that it was fast before? Does it happen right after you have started VISAT or only after you have worked with for a while?
What is the configuration of your computer, how much RAM do you have?
However, you can edit the 'visat.vmoptions' file which you will find in the 'bin' folder of the BEAM installation directory.
There you will find a line starting with "-Xmx". You can try to increase the value which follows afterwards. It specifies the memory in MB which VISAT can use.
Flag Flag
2/1/16 1:21 PM as a reply to Marco Peters.
Dear Marco,

GLAD to see your consideration.

...by suddenly you mean that it was fast before?...
Yes, it was fast.

...Does it happen right after you have started VISAT or only after you have worked with for a while?...
Right after the VISAT starts, and a file - L2w-product of MERIS - is open.

I try to create image of 'conc_chl_nn' to make navigation possible for the whole image, etc.
The process is too long (i hope it's the attachment).

...What is the configuration of your computer, how much RAM do you have?...
RAM=3.5GB (32bit).

...However, you can edit the 'visat.vmoptions' file which you will find in the 'bin' folder of the BEAM installation directory.
There you will find a line starting with "-Xmx". You can try to increase the value which follows afterwards. It specifies the memory in MB which VISAT can use. ...
Yes, I did.
For some reason my system allows -Xmx1200 as maximum .
(If I set -Xmx=1300) it tells :'The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap soze (-Xmx) might be too large.' )

Should I change parameters of computer? Or smth else would be helpful?

THANKS!
Attachment

Attachments: long time to make navigation possible for the whole image.png (64.9k)
Flag Flag
2/1/16 3:37 PM as a reply to Nelley Mikhailovna Kovalevskaya.
For some reason my system allows -Xmx1200 as maximum .
(If I set -Xmx=1300) it tells :'The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap soze (-Xmx) might be too large.' )

On a 32Bit system the maximum value for the heap space is a bit fuzzy. So you have already reached the limit.

Actually opening such an image should be done within seconds.
I guess you have already tried to reinstalled BEAM. So I'm also without any clue.
Have you tried SNAP?
SNAP is the successor of BEAM. Further development will take place there.
You can get it from the step web page.

There might one last option.
Open the beam.config file in a text editor. It is located in the config folder of the installation directory.
At the end you'll see line like this:
1beam.useAlternatePixelGeoCoding = false

Set the value to true.
Flag Flag
2/4/16 2:35 PM as a reply to Marco Peters.
...Have you tried SNAP?
SNAP is the successor of BEAM. Further development will take place there.
You can get it from the step web page....

Thank you, SNAP works perfectly.
Flag Flag